Hartest Hill, Suffolk, Hartest Parish Council
Hartest Cemetery is set on Hartest Hill overlooking the centre of the village. The people of Hartest have been laid to rest here for over 150 years. It is surrounded by English native trees and has a number of wild flower species growing in the older areas.
The original lower part of the cemetery ground was given to the village by the Diocese of Ely and dedicated by the Bishop of Ely in 1857. The higher part of this ground was purchased from the Weller Poley family of Boxted Hall for the sum of £25 in 1911. In 2011 a further area of ground was secured adjacent to this through a generous gift from the Ince family. This recently purchased area of land has not been consecrated to allow burial space for those of different faiths or of no faith.