The building was beautifully restored in 2002, supported by Heritage Lottery and Babergh District Council.
TERRY WAITE CBE - the Instutute's Patron
The restoration revealed the fine original features of a well proportioned main hall. The building also incorporates a generously sized, well stocked kitchen.
The Hall is located overlooking the picturesque village green in the centre of Hartest which is situated half way between Bury St. Edmunds and Sudbury.
The Hall all the facilities you would expect - including;
These facilities along with its carpark make this a perfect location for functions such as Weddings, Parties, Dances and Meetings. Click here for details.
You will find there is an option to suit all budgets, for more information and details of booking click here or for more pictures of the building click here
The Green, Hartest, Suffolk IP29 4DH
Boxted and Hartest Institute was built in 1888 as a Reading room. Its purpose was for the education of the men of the two villages.
Commissioned by Thomas Weller - Poley, brother of the owner of Boxted Hall, Reginald T Blomfield M.A. at the age of 31years, was the Architect and the builder Thomas Cadge of Hartest. When completed, the building had a resident caretaker.
Reginald Blomfield, brother of Bishop Blomfield, was born in 1856 and died in 1942.In an account of the Blomfield Family, it is recorded that he was knighted in 1919.At the time it was written of him “there have been many Architects but few have combined so great a knowledge of architecture, art and letters as Sir Reginald did” He was at one time the President of the R.I.B.A. In his younger days Reginald Blomfield was closely associated with the Arts and Crafts movement, and knew Gimson and Barnsley.
The design of Boxted and Hartest Institute was based on the work of the English Arts and Crafts movement, in the style of William Morris, which is of particular significance locally, regionally and nationally.
Some other works designed by Reginald Blomfield are:-